DIY - Hand Lettered Ornaments

Tuesday, November 29, 2016


Even though I'm excited that Christmas season is finally here again, I'm sad to say that I'm little bit late in getting our Christmas decorations up this year.  Usually my family sets up everything for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving.  Well, I think Thanksgiving must have come early this year because it can't be Christmas season already?  

To be honest, it's really hard to get into the Christmas spirit when you don't have a tree yet. This weekend we are planning to find the perfect tree for our house but in the meantime, our house is lacking the Christmas feel.  

Well, anyway, each year I set up a small white tree in my room.  As I was setting up the tree the other day I realized that I wasn't happy anymore with the same decorations we use every year.  The tree needed something new this year. Grabbing all my lettering supplies I went to work on fixing this problem by creating my own homemade ornaments.

I decided to make these ornaments very simple.  Mainly because I didn't really want to spend all day making them. First, I simply cut out small squares and circles in thick card stock paper.


After I cut out the shapes I used my watercolor markers and wrote quotes from my  favorite Christmas songs on each cut out.  You can use any markers.  I enjoy using markers that have a brush tip so you can make your lettering look like calligraphy.  


I had fun thinking of creative ways to write out each one.  Once I finished I punched a small hole in the top and strung some cord through.



After I hung these ornaments on the tree I knew that these amazingly simple and fun ornaments were just what my tree was missing.  


Now to finish the rest of the Christmas decorating. Before long Christmas will be here and I'm already feeling overwhelmed at how fast time is flying by.  But I hope you have a blessed Christmas season, and I wish you joy as you tackle all the decorating. 

No comments :

Post a Comment