Astrid's shirt/tunic

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Summer is here and I just remembered how much I hate the fact that it gets so hot in summer. The craft room where I spend most of my time working on my cosplay gets really hot in the summer.   By the time spring ends I feel like I'm ready for summer but now I'm ready for fall and winter again. 

Anyway, enough of me complaining about things I have no control over.  I finished making Astrid's shirt. Atleast for the most part. I'm still working on adjusting it to make it fit me perfectly.  I hate doing darts and it's really hard to make the shirt fit me perfect when I don't have an extra pair of hands to help (I have set the shirt aside and am going to finish adjusting it when my mom is able to help).  

At first I tried to make the shirt without a pattern.  I used some scrap fabric (we have piles of scrap fabric in our craft room) and one of my shirts to make my own pattern.  I tried so many times but I could not get it to work.  My main issue was the fact that I had bought fabric that was not stretchy  (Note to self - if possible, get stretch fabric for making shirts).  I knew it was going to be an issue when I bought the fabric, but since the fabric was the perfect match for Astrid's shirt, I just needed to find away to work around the issue.

After a day of many failed attempts I found this pattern and decided to use it instead. I felt so much more comfortable using a pattern. This pattern was perfect. The only thing I did differently was add a 'v' to the neckline and I used a zipper instead of buttons.  

And here's is my shirt.  

I'm really pleased with my zipper.  Whenever I do a zipper it always looks horrible but the zipper on this shirt actually turned out perfectly.  

Next I'm making Astrid's skirt and I've already started.  I definitely feel a lot more confident in my skirt making skills then I do in my shirt making skills.  

 It's so exciting seeing my cosplay come together!  

No comments :

Post a Comment