Astrid's Skirt

Wednesday, July 8, 2015





Believe it or not, even without a pattern, the skirt was not as hard as the shirt.  I'm quite happy with how it turned out! My cosplay is slowly but surely coming together. 

The first thing I did for the skirt was cut out the leather strips. I didn't use real leather, I used vinyl.  I cut out ten strips.  Then I pinned the raw edges back and sewed the edges.  


I made four spikes for each strip.  After putting it together I realized my spikes could have been a bit bigger, but, oh well.  Also I found out I didn't have enough spikes and I had to make a few more.  (Note to self - always make extra if you can)


I had imbedded brads in the back of each of the spike, which made it so much easier to attach the spikes to the leather strips. I also used some E-6000 glue to help secure them.



I pinned the leather strips on the fur and did my best the make them even.



I've made a lot of skirts before.  Skirts are one thing I can make without a pattern.  For this skirt I decided to make the basic waistband which I have done so many times before.  I attached the skulls to the waistband before I slip-stitched the waistband closed. The wires I had attached to the skulls worked perfectly for attaching the skulls to the skirt.  I don't know how else you'd be able to get the skulls to stay securely on the skirt.  I may add some hot glue later just to help with keeping the skulls from moving around too much.  



I wanted to do a zipper closure but after working with the fur, I realized that it would be almost impossible to sew a zipper onto fur. I used Velcro instead which was actually easier.




So far I have made Astrid's shoulder pads, Astrid's shirt, and Astrid's skirt.  I still have to make her fur hood, arm warmers, and boot covers (and her ax).  I also need to add knee pads to my blue jean leggings.  But the main parts are done and my cosplay is starting to take shape.  I tried on all the pieces I have so far to see how well my cosplay is coming together. It made my day! Oh, and as you can see I am also going to have to buy a wig because I'm obviously not even close to being blonde.  


I'm still waiting for the fur I ordered to arrive in the mail so I can make the hood.  I ordered it a few weeks ago but they sent me the wrong fur and they finally got back to me about their mistake. I should receive the right fur sometime this week.  

It won't be too long 'til my cosplay is finished.  I'm so excited!

4 comments :

  1. Wow! It's really coming along...you are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way of presentation is unique and nice thanks for this great information about the decorative of office infrastructure and i also feel the author helped me to understand the topic and we also some information about the Metal Letters Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the spikes? Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell us where you got your materials? Specifically the skulls because I’ve been looking everywhere.

    ReplyDelete