My Prayer Board

Tuesday, January 12, 2016


Two things have been on my mind these past few days.  The fact that we are constantly in spiritual warfare, and what God has given us as our main weapon to fight against this kind of warfare 

Thinking back to last Sunday's sermon, which was on prayer, I was convicted of the power of prayer and important role it plays in our spiritual walk with God.

When I think of prayer a certain movie comes to mind.  Last October I went with my Mom and sister to see "War Room". If you haven't seen this movie, it is a very powerful, convicting movie about prayer that I believe all Christians should watch. I was encouraged and inspired by this wonderful movie.  click here see the War Room Trailer .

If you asked me what the one area in my walk with the Lord that I struggle with, without any hesitation, I would say my prayer life.  I pray everyday but I never feel like I'm focused or really pouring out my heart to the Lord when I pray.  I do it often as if I'm doing it just to check it off of my list of things to do for the day.  I have a prayer journal and whenever I write my prayers down it helps me to stay focused as I'm talking to my Lord but I don't always have the time to write down all my prayers.

After watching War Room I wanted to find a place to make into my 'War Room'.  I wanted a special room set aside for prayer where I could pin prayer requests and Bible verses on the wall. Unfortunately I could not find a place in our house that isn't already being used for something.  We don't have a large house and all our rooms have a purpose.  I was thinking of clearing some space in my closet but my closet is already packed full with too much stuff.   

When one way doesn't work though, you'll find another way, you just have to be a little more creative in your thinking.  As if out of nowhere, an idea came to me!  Since I didn't have an actual room to devote to prayer I needed something else that would help keep me focused as I pray.   I created what I call my 'Prayer Board'.  It has a list of prayer requests to remind me of what to pray for and some inspiration and guidelines for prayer.  I also ripped out a notepad from an old address book I don't use and added it to the board to write down daily prayer request and things I'm thankful for each day.



The clipboard I used was found at a thrift store (where I pretty much find most of my stuff). You can find them at Wal-Mart though.  I see this style clip board whenever I am browsing through the 'office supplies' aisle.   

On the inside of the clip board I decided to make a place where you can write down prayers that have been answered.  I also struggle with memorizing Bible verses so I stuffed some index cards (I use index cards for everything, they're so useful) into the pocket and each week I can write down a Bible verse to study and pray about.


This took me no time at all to put together.  I love being creative and organizing so I really enjoyed making this board. You can personalize it any way you want.  Now when  I pray I can grab my prayer board and everything I need is right in front of me to help me stay focused on Who I'm praying to. Another plus with this board is it will work great for traveling.  My family goes camping a lot in the summer.  When you find a nice quiet place in a beautiful valley or while taking in a majestic mountain view, there's no better time to pour out your heart to the Lord in prayer.  

With my new 'Prayer Board' I'm looking forward to growing closer to God in my prayer life.  Prayer is our strongest weapon  against the enemy and just like all weapons, we have to learn how to use prayer.  Only by  devoting a certain amount of time each day to prayer will we begin to reap the benefits and effectually fight off the enemy.  


"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." Colossians 4:2


2 comments :

  1. What a great idea! How timely - the topic of my Bible Study this week is 'keeping your focus during prayer' and I too have no closet space to make into my 'war room.' So I will be making myself a Prayer Board this week to help me keep my focus when I'm praying. Thank-you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I love your board; it's so pretty and creative. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete