My Bible Study ~ The Book of Job

Monday, October 19, 2015


It feels like it's been awhile since I last said anything on this blog. I'm just really busy (I always am it seems).  I don't have the time to just sit down and write something because when I do I realize there is something more important I need to do.  But, however busy our lives get, one thing that is very important to me is having my personal quiet time with God in the morning.  

More often than not my mornings start right off being busy and I can't always find the time to read God's word. Sometimes all I can do is set aside 5 minutes to read a psalms or proverbs.  


In spring I decided to do my own study of the book of Job.  Just last week I finally finished reading through Job. I chose to study Job because it has always been one of the books in the Bible that I find hard to understand.


My approach to studying Job was to read one chapter and then in my notebook I would take each verse and rewrite it in a condensed way (I learned this method at a Bible study I took years ago and we called it "Think and Shrink").  I also read a study guide to go along with my reading in Job. Lastly I wrote out a summary and application for each chapter of the book of Job.  I found this method of studying to be very helpful and was able to actually pull out a lot of truths to the book of Job.  I want to share with you some of what I learned...


In the first part of Job (chapter 1-2) the text is pretty straight forward.  What really stuck out to me is the fact that Satan could not harm Job without God's permission.  It's a comfort to know that God is on our side and Satan can't harm us.  If we are God's children, Satan has no power over us.


The second part of Job (Chapters 3-37)  the writing becomes more of prophecy format and...well, it's lot harder to understand.  Job doesn't know why these things are happening while his friends, who think they know why Job is suffering, plead with him to repent of his sin.  


I tried to imagine this in a more modern day situation.  If I had a friend and all of a sudden she lost everything despite the fact that she is a strong believer in God and didn't do anything to deserve what happened to her. If all I did was tell her that she messed up somehow and she needed to repent I would not be a very good friend.  Yet, that is exactly what Job's friends were doing.  


Jobs friends are a good example of how not to comfort a friend who's hurting.  What Job really needed, and what those around us who are suffering really need, is not someone to criticize them and tell them what they have done wrong, but someone to be a shoulder to cry on.  Someone who knows to be silent and to just be there for their friend.  When we criticize and try to tell our friends what they did wrong it puts us in a judgmental frame of mind and it is very selfish because we end up thinking we are far better than 'that' friend who is suffering.


I hate to admit it, but often times I get caught up in this mindset. When  I have friends who are struggling I feel like I have the answer and I can help them by telling them what to do.  I'm slowly learning that at times it's best to be quiet and bite my tongue instead of always have to share my opinions and advice.  


In Chapters 38-41 when God finally speaks to Job I noted that God never does tell Job why he suffered. Sometimes we aren't always given a reason either when we suffer.  The whole point that God was getting across to Job was that He was God and that was enough. God is always greater than our trials and hardships.


Finally, the last part of Job (chapter 42) when Jobs suffering finally comes to an end and God richly blesses by restoring all of his fortunes and more.  In the long run Job ended up better off after his suffering.


I learned that we can trust God when we go through trials and sufferings knowing that He is growing us to be closer to Him. It says in Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."  


Lastly, I just want to share with you my favorite chapters in Job;  I love Job chapter 28 because it talks about mining the earth for its precious metals and how none can compare to wisdom. I love it because it reminded me of the gold rush and I love the gold rush in particular because of an awesome living history camp I work at in the spring.  I also like Job 41 when God talks about the Leviathan because I believe the Leviathan was a dragon/dinosaur and that there were dinosaurs in Job's time.  The Leviathan truly does sound like an amazing creature and was fascinating to read about. 


I can now say that I understand Job a lot better than before, and I'm looking forward to the next book I shall decide to study.    


"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,  for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." James 1:2-4

2 comments :

  1. thank you for this post! I would love to know what the next book you will be studying! ~Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have the hardest time deciding. Today I started reading James. It's short book so it gives me time to decide on what I want to read next. I think when I'm done studying James I might study Romans. Thank you for your comment! I love getting comments! I'm so glad you enjoyed my post :)

      Delete