Peace that Passes Understanding

Monday, April 13, 2015

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. John 14:27  

I've been wanting to post more regularly but Spring is one of the busiest seasons for my family.  We work at a Christian living history camp.  The camp is awesome, but due to this I have not had the time to post much.  But today I found the time to write the next part of my Fruit of the Spirit series.  Sorry if it sounds a bit rushed.  I just have so many things on my list of things to do and my mind is feeling exhausted and a bit overwhelmed.  
But with the business all around there is no better subject to meditate on then peace.  By taking the time to sit down and write this I have learned a lot about peace.

Peace (the sacrifice of trust) - Whenever I think of peace the words of a song I used to sing when I was little pop into head.  Maybe you know this song.

I have the peace that passes understanding 
Down in my heart!
Where? Down in my heart!
Where? Down in my heart!
I have the peace that passes understanding 
Down in my heart!
Where? Down in my heart to stay!

'The peace that passes understanding' was a phrase that I just couldn't quite wrap my mind around when I was a little girl. I remembering feeling very pleased with myself when I was able to sing this particular part of this song without any mistakes. But I didn't really know what it meant. Now I look at this song and it makes so much more sense to me.  Actually, even thought it's a song I sang when I was in elementary school, I find that I enjoy this song still, if not more now that I'm older.  There's just something about the the simplicity of this song.  

Philippians 4:6-7 says; “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Peace is gained by taking all of our worries and fears and giving them to God. Whatever it is you are facing: trials, fears, or just the everyday challenges of life, you can't find God's peace until you give those problems to God and trust that God will take care of you. You must go to God in prayer and in thanksgiving, just like the verse plainly states, and God will fill you with the peace that passes all understanding.

The peace that God will give you is amazing. It goes beyond understanding.  With everything falling apart right before our eyes God fills us with a peace that sustains us and gets us through the day.  For the unbeliever who watches us go through life with God's peace it is impossible for them to even comprehend how we can be so calm.  I believe that this is what it means to have the peace that passes all understanding.  It just doesn't make sense to the outward eye.  

These past few days I've been struggling with being content with my life and being single, wishing that God would bring that 'someone special' into my life soon.  It just so happened, and I know it was not a coincidence, that during my devotion I came across Philippians 4:6-7. I knew exactly what God was telling me to do. I went to God in prayer and I thanked God for His goodness to me and I told God of my problems and asked Him to take it away and fill me with His peace. Immediately after my devotion I was filled with happiness. God's peace rained down on me like a flood. I was so happy I literally skipped down the stairs this morning (which is not a good idea cause I've slipped on the stairs too many times to count).

My point is that God is waiting to bestow upon you His peace. He's waiting. He's waiting for you to ask. All you have to do is ask and God will shower His peace down on you. 


So what is keeping you?  Give your problems to God,  trust that God's plan for you is the best, and ask God to fill you with His peace. 

No comments :

Post a Comment