DIY ~ Lace Headband Tutorial

Monday, March 23, 2015


Today I made these cute headbands and they are so easy to make and don't take much time at all.  I was able to make one in fifteen minutes. I thought I'd try making a tutorial.  This is my first time making a picture tutorial so I know it's not going to be perfect but I hope you find this tutorial helpful.


Step One: Cut a piece of lace about fifteen inches long.  Or wrap it around you head and cut the lace long enough to reach to the end of your ears. (I actually used a lace headband I bought last year but was too small for me even though it said one size fits all.  I was pretty bummed that the headband didn't fit me because It wasn't really cheap.)


Step Two:  Cut a piece of elastic that measures six inches.  I think I used 1/4'' or 1/2'' elastic.  I just used the only elastic I had so the width of the elastic doesn't really matter.  You may need to cut a longer strip depending on how loose you want your headband.  I usually prefer my headbands to lay loosely on my head because I hate it when your headband slowly works it way off your head.  SO ANNOYING!


Step Three: Find a coordinating fabric and using your elastic strip as a guide cut the fabric about 1/2'' wider than the elastic on all sides.


Step Four: This step is optional. I took my fabric and trimmed it so that it was not as wide in the middle to give it a more fitted look.  




Step Five: Fold the ends down on both sides and sew the fabric together right sides together.  When you finish is should look like the above picture.



Step Six: Now turn your fabric right side out.  You now have the casing for the elastic.





Step Seven: Sew the elastic to the lace.  Make sure you go back a forth a few times to add extra support.



Step Eight: Slip casing over elastic. 

Step Nine: repeat step seven with the other end of the elastic




Step Ten: Lastly sew the end of the fabric to the lace.  I went backwards and forward a few times for added support

And that is it!  Your done!   Wear your new headband with pride! 

Let me know what you think of this tutorial.  I'm open for any advice and tips.  




No comments :

Post a Comment